Today we took Angel and Jasper out on their first real official mushing run. It was a blast and the dogs loved it! We went to Flaming Gyser state park and first we went around the grassy fields. My dad was on the regular bike first and I was on the scooter. When I said "Hike!", I barely had time to get my self on the scooter! It was incredible. my dogs ears were back, legs blurred, and we where flyin'. It was a bumpy grass trail though, so of coarse I was dragged and my legs where sore after wards but I loved it. I bet I got dirt in my teeth from smiling so big!
After the grass trail, which we only did once before heading out to the real big stuff, we took the small length of asphalt road there was then plunged on up a steap, rocky hill. My dad ran by the scooter while we where goin' up then the trail flattened out and he got to ride quite a bit from there. Buuut, I got left behind in their tracks pushing my poor bike up the humungo hill. We went a bit more longer after getting into the flats then went a bit down hill.
My dad and I met this lady who gave us the idea of hooking ourselves to the dogs rather then the dogs to the scooter. That way the dogs won't run off with the scooter or whatever. It's a waist strap that just goes around you and hooks onto the dogs leads. But we kinda needed another so that we wouldn't have to keep changing the strap and whatever, so my dad got a fanny pack and took the blue part of the leads and tried that so he could have a waist strap too.
It work great, except when we where going up hill....so close we where almost there to the top when all of the sudden...CLINCK! "OH no! Jasper stop! Come back!" I'm behind them struggling and walking my bike up this impossibly difficult hill and wondering what my dad was thinking to have come this way when I look up and see the dogs galloping away and my dad standing there with the scooter, dum-struck. "What happened?" I called. Apparently the dogs had gotten unclipped from his waist strap and had thought, "Oh wow, this load suddenly got lighter." So while I'm still climbing the hill I call out to Angel and she stops and literally drags Jasper back to us.
We where so proud of her and a little frazzled at the whole thing. We laughted so hard. It was funny and they both got a cookie, but Jasper didn't want his so Angel got two. :-D
Well back on the trail again, we go a bit farther then the trail gets to thin so we turn around. It was finally my turn to go down! I was excited but hadn't thought of dogs literally giving it all they have down hill. It was quite an experience.
First the hill was loose rocks and a few stumps. So we're goin' and we're goin' suddenly I'm kinda like okay this is a wee-bit to fast. So I push the brakes and say "Whoa" It works on Angel and Jasper only for a few split seconds. So we come to the first tiny stumps and I just do as my dad says and pick the front wheel up and the other follows. It goes great after then until the dogs start feeling their cookies and started to run down that hill like bats out of....you know.
So I'm hitting the brakes but they don't want to stop. So theres probly still a skid mark 100 yards long down that trail. We come to another tiny log and I just let go of the scooter and grab the pullings to the dogs. I was lucky that the log was there so I could brace my feet against it.
I wasn't shaken but excited. So I get my scooter back again and we fix the now twisted handle bar. My dad and I laughing at how awesome it all was.
Sooner then later we're back on the trail going down full speed. And I got the brakes at the ready just incase.....But still have in mind that there where no more logs. When we got down the end of the trail it gets really rocky. The dogs see the asphalt and think, "Oh yea, a strait out running place! woo-hoo lets go!" so they 'hike' them selves and take off, more JAsper then Angel, and go full galloping down that hill.
Unfortunately before you come to asphalt theres a big root kinda weaving out of the ground then a dirt bridge that kinda goes off into a kinda big but not huge stream about a foot down in a ditch. Well we got over the root just fine, but I just knew we where...or more like I was gonna meet that stream real soon. I panicked and jump off the scooter then picked it up and threw it past the bridge then ran fast after the dogs.
Now I'm dead tired and not ready to go out tomorrow. That was probly one of the most exciting things I've ever done in my life! Also when we got back to the car Angel suprised us with getting into the car by herself. Dad only had to coax her in the tiniest way and she crawled in there. They both slept while we drove home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hi Trinityzchild!
That sounded like SOOO much fun!!! We totally have to go together sometime! :) Well, G2G, TTYL. Email me!
-Cat
OKay I emailed you. Yea, we have to go like before school starts again. But I guess being homeschooled we can go maybe after new years day? What you think? I might be having B (that is Breanna) over for like an over night thing.
My mom wants to have her over cause well we don't see them and all.
HAY! I just got me a great ider! Maybe you BOTH can come over and spend the night and we can go mushing...does either the 26 or the 27th work for you? E-meeting! you call the time.
26-27 doesn't work for me, we have to wait till january. What about Jan. 13-14?
I'll ask my cuzin
Post a Comment